IMG_3204 copy

Why did you choose to study MSE?

In high school I was a pretty big chem nerd (I still am); I found it mildly entertaining to just read through organic, inorganic, and physical chem books and bash through synthesis and spectra. I also wanted to work in a field that has positive environmental impacts. From some of my older friends who are in MSE as well, I learned that batteries and photovoltaics fell under MSE, so here I am.

What do you like most about MSE? 

I like the intersection of physics and chemistry in MSE, and the fact that a lot of my favorite scientific applications are in MSE. Photovoltaics, batteries, nanomaterials, semiconductors, and membranes are some if I had to name a few.

Any interesting projects/research you are working on now that you’d like to share?

Since it is a pandemic and I am a freshman, I have not been able to go into the lab, but currently I am doing research with Professor Joel Ager. Right now, I have been designing and simulating 3-terminal-tandem solar cells for CO2 reduction. I am excited to see how they would actually perform and whether my device could prove a hypothesis about a fundamental difference between photoelectrochemical and electrochemical systems.

What do you enjoy doing outside of school?

Outside of academics, I like cooking, biking and video games, but unlike a chemist I cook entirely by feel, no measurements. I am also interested in political and societal systems/institutions (I recently have been phone banking and letter writing for prop and GOTV campaigns), and sometimes write essays about reforming current systems.

What are your future plans?

It is really early for me to say, but I probably would want to go to grad school and get a PhD in MSE and later work in energy and hopefully politics and policy as well. If politics isn’t in my main job, I will still try to fit social work in because I want to work toward a world with minimal hegemony and greater emphasis on cooperative and socialized institutions.