Changing majors within the College of Engineering

College of Engineering students who wish to change into Materials Science & Engineering will need to file a Change of Major petition with Engineering Student Services (230 Bechtel). COE students can apply to change their major at any time (after completing one semester at Berkeley) and applications are evaluated as they are received. Students may now apply to change majors even after their sophomore year as long as the change does not delay graduation.

Applications will be evaluated by Engineering Student Services staff based upon clear guidelines and minimum criteria outlined by the departments. Students who do not meet guidelines and minimum criteria will be reviewed by faculty from the department.

Transfer students who are in the College of Engineering can not apply to change majors. Please refer to Transfer FAQ at here.

Change of College within UC Berkeley

To transfer into Materials Science & Engineering from another college (such as Letters and Science), you will need to file a Change of College petition with the College of Engineering Engineering Student Services (230 Bechtel). Students in colleges other than COE must complete two semesters at UCB before they can be admitted to COE. Students can apply during their third or fourth semester. Applications for change of college will now be accepted during both the Fall and Spring semesters. Please note that transfer students are not eligible for change of college into Engineering.

Please see the College of Engineering Change of College page for more details.

Transferring from another University or Community College

Applicants must complete the University of California admissions application by November 30 for admission for the following Fall Semester. UC Berkeley does not accept new transfer applications for the spring semester. For more information on the admissions process, contact the Office of Undergraduate Admissions at 510-642-3175 . How well you will compete will depend on the strength of the applicant pool in any given year.

Contact Us

Department offices are located in 210 Hearst Memorial Mining Building, in the Northeast corner of campus.


Department of Materials Science and Engineering
210 Hearst Memorial Mining Building
University of California
Berkeley, CA 94720-1760

Phone: (510) 642-3801
Fax: (510) 643-5792